homeaboutcontactdisclosure

Monday, May 27, 2013

Indie Spotlight: Flossy Lacquers Swatches and Review




Happy Memorial Day everyone!

I know I'm a day behind, but I wanted to continue on with Indie Spotlight Weekend as planned.
I mean, a Monday holiday counts as a three-day weekend, amirite?

Today, I'm excited to introduce you a very new brand called Flossy Lacquers!




As much as we polish addicts have a long list of lemmings of the normal indie cult favorites, sometimes it's much more exciting to stumble upon a true indie name with not a lot of press. 
When I just happened across this shop on Etsy, I immediately knew I had to see them in person.


Flossy Lacquers is 3-free brand created by Nikki of Minnesota, a fellow polish addict like ourselves.
She was very generous in providing the following four polishes for me to share and review with you all.


Make Believe



 Dive Queens and Jelly Beans



Electric Limelight



Purple People Eater






Make Believe is a milky white polished mixed with pastel pink, purple, blue and green glitters with a hint of holographic sparkle.


I'm pretty positive I squealed when I saw this combo.
I love any glitter combo with a white base, and this mix is so springy and delicate.



The formula on this one was the only one I found to be a bit tricky at first. It was streaky on the first coat, but managed to even itself out with three total layers. 

That wasn't so much of a concern at first, as I was more concentrated on the texture. It has a gritty feel to it that is still visible on the nail even after two or three or coats. I don't have extensive knowledge of the actual polish-making process, but I had a suspicion that this was actually glitter in disguise. To be completely sure, I contacted Nikki who confirmed that is in fact part of the formula.

All that being said, the finished look is gorgeous. Two layers of top coat smoothed out the surface (for the most part), and I was left with the dainty but eye catching nails you see in the photos.







Diva Queens and Jelly Beans is a cool-toned medium grey polish sprinkled with medium-sized white hex glitters, small pink square glitters and ultra fine white glitter.




It has a semi-sheer formula, so the grey takes some building up. This allows the glitters to have more depth, so I'm all for it. The bottle may need a roll or two to reach the glitters, but I think the sparse application actually makes the finished look "pop" so much more. The texture wasn't as severe as Make Believe, but I still chose two layers of top coat for an ultra-glossy effect.



Oh how I love this. And I mean really love this. It's youthful, but sophisticated. The colors are a smart combination that somehow manages to be edgy but feminine, mature but fun all at the same time.
In my opinion, it's a must-have. 






Electric Limelight is an ultra fine neon green and yellow glitter topper that Nikki brightly described as "nothing but tasty."


Tasty is right. It reminds me of sour powdered sugar from Fun Dip or straight off some sour gummy worms.


The formula is incredible. It's not thick or goopy at all, and the glitter just glides on densely, but evenly.
I went for the shock value and used one coat over black, but it's actually a lot more versatile than I thought.
It's green, it's extreme and it's a winner to me.


Here I have Electric Limelight shown four different ways:

Index Finger - One coat over Julep "Madison."
Middle Finger - One coat over China Glaze "Grape Pop."
Ring Finger and previous photos - One coat over Sally Hansen Hard as Nails "Black Heart."
Pinky Finger - Three coats with no "undies."






Purple People Eater is a jelly based purple jam packed with purple and pink glitter.


Stunning? Irresistible? All of the above!
There's something exquisitely unique about this shade. The warm, plum-toned jelly base coincides with the pink glitter in such a way that I surprisingly could not find a match for it in the rest of my collection.
It's bold enough to be a summer statement color, but has a festive quality to it that will surely have me whipping it out even in the winter months.


The formula was fantastic and opaque in two coats.
It also dries quite fast, which makes it a great polish-and-go color and great for toes!
(...because who likes to wait around forever waiting for their toes to dry?)









I can't begin to describe how delighted I am to have found Flossy Lacquers.
For a up and coming brand, these polishes already make a statement.
From the bottles to the business cards, Nikki has created a polish line that is sure to stand out,
and it was a pleasure to be able to share them with you all.
(Oh, and did I mention her business card doubles as an adorable magnet! Love it!)






Want Flossy Lacquers for yourself?

You can find all of the available Flossy Lacquers on Etsy, priced at $7.25 for 15ml bottles.

Purple People Eater is already available to purchase, and Nikki announced that the other three I showed you should be up by the end of this week.


This brand is entirely new, so there is no official Flossy Lacquers Facebook, Instagram or Twitter Page.
However, you can give these beauties some love and spread the word through my Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and Pinterest!

Thanks for reading!

-Melody

2 comments:

  1. Love the third one over the black! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun brand! Love that they have those $ sign chains on the bottles. I especially love Diva Queens and Jelly Beans.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...